Editors: linas, Busfotos Zürich.
Comments: all · trolleybus · funicular
Photos By Route
Trolleybus Facilities / Operators
Funicular Facilities / Operators
City Photo Galleries
» Metro Leggera Line and Infrastructure» Trolleybus
» Construction of Trolleybus Network Metro Leggera» Trolleybus
» Montevergine Funicular» Old photos» Former Trolleybus Lines» Construction of Trolleybus Network Metro Leggera» Metro Leggera Line and Infrastructure» Trolleybus
— 1.» Funicular
— 1, 2.
The Avellino trolleybus network was built on the initiative of Carmine De Martino , parliamentarian and owner of the Southern Industrial Agricultural Society (SAIM), who in 1946 set up the Irpina Filoviaria Society (SFI), for the construction and management of the line.
The original project envisaged a single line, from the center of Avellino to the railway station , and from there to the neighboring municipality of Atripalda; this segment opened on 19 September 1947.
Work began immediately on the second line, to serve the hamlet of Pianodardine, which was opened in 1949.
In 1956, after years of discussions, the extension from Avellino to Mercogliano was inaugurated. But already in 1959 the balance sheets began to show a deficit, and the situation continued to worsen until the company was placed in receivership by the Ministry of Transport in 1971.
The trolleybus operation ceased on 1 November 1973.