Construction of routes
Today there is four tram routes.
Route № 1: Kopli -- Kadriorg (Opened on current route 11.1953)
Route № 2: Kopli -- Suur-Paala (Opened on current route 10.1970, renamed 01.05.2017)
Route № 3: Tondi -- Kadriorg (Opened on current route 01.1957)
Route № 4: Tondi -- Lennujaam (Opened on current route 01.09.2017)
One tram route has been closed.
Route № 5: Kopli -- Vana-Lõuna (service time: 28.10.2000 - 31.12.2003)
Tram service starts at 04:50 in the morning and the last tram heads to depot center at 01:08.
Consists of two depots. Vana-Lõuna depot and Kopli depot.
Vana-Lõuna depot was opened in 1922 and until 1936 there was only petrol trams. In 1936, when the depot in Kadriorg was closed, from there transferred all electric trams in the depot Vana-Lõuna. The depot in Kadriorg existed from 1888 to 1936. Kopli Depot was opened in 1914.
At Vana-Lõuna depot, there is tram repair shop, administration buildings and parking area. It services all four routes. There is also tram museum. The second, Kopli depot is smaller.
It services only first and second tram route, here also trams pass service. The width of the rail is 1067 mm (42.007874 inches).
Currently, the city's lines are in operation trams brands CAF Urbos AXL, Tatra KT4D, Tatra KT4TMR, Tatra KT4TM, Tatra КТ6ТM. Earlier also exploited trams Tatra KT4SU, Tatrа Т4SU, various models German carriage-building plants Gotha, Lowa and produced in Tallinn trams, as well as horse tram.
More about the history of tram lines:
24.08.1888 - 1918: Opened Narva road route. (Vene turg – Kadriorg). In May 1889, route was extended along Viru Street to Vana turg (Old market).
September, 1888 - 1917: Opened Tartu road route. (Vene turg – Tartu road, Heeringa /Turu); extended in May 1889 along Viru street to Vana turg (Old market).
March, 1901 - 1918: Opened Pärnu road route. (Vene turg – Jaani Street – Heinaturg /Freedom Square/ – Väike-Pärnu road. /Roosikrantsi/ – Suur-Pärnu road, railway crossing).
Motorized and electrical trams № 1-5.
Tram route № 1.
13.05.1921 - 27.10.1925: Reopened motorized tram route without number Vene turg--Kadriorg, from July changed to Vene turg--Freedom Square.
28.10.1925 – July, 1928: Reopened electrical tram route without number Freedom Square--Narva road--Kadriorg.
July, 1928 – June, 1945: Electrical tram route Freedom Square--Narva road--Kadriorg.
June, 1945 – December, 1948: Circle tram route without number Tondi – Tartu road – Kadriorg – Tondi.
December, 1948 – May, 1949: Tondi - Kadriorg.
May, 1949 – November, 1953: Tõnismägi - Kadriorg.
November, 1953 - today: Kopli - Kadriorg.
Tram route № 2.
December, 1924 – October, 1927: Reopened motorized tram route without number Freedom Square – Tartu road, Lubja Street.
October, 1927 – July, 1928: Opened electrical tram route without number Freedom Square – Tartu road, Lubja Street.
July, 1928 – February, 1936: Electrical tram route Freedom Square – Tartu road., Lubja Street.
February, 1936 – November, 1939: Electrical tram route №2/3 Tartu road – Pärnu road – Tondi (train stop).
November, 1939 – June, 1945: Tartu road – Pärnu road – Tondi (train stop).
June, 1945 – December, 1948: Circle route without number Tondi – Tartu road – Kadriorg – Tondi.
December, 1948 - 1957: Tartu road - Tondi.
March, 1962 – October, 1970: Kopli – Laikmaa Street - Ülemiste.
October, 1970 - today: Kopli - Maneeži Street - Ülemiste, 01.05.2017 Ülemiste stop was renamed to Suur-Paala.
Tram route № 3.
November, 1921 - June, 1927: Reopened motorized tram route without number Vene turg – Freedom Square – Väike-Pärnu road – Suur-Pärnu road, railway crossing.
June, 1927 - July, 1928: Motorized tram route without number Tartu road - Alevi Street.
July, 1928 - December, 1935: Motorized tram route Vene turg - Alevi Street.
February, 1936 - November, 1939: Electrical tram route №2/3 Tartu road – Pärnu road – Tondi (train stop).
January, 1954 – January, 1957: Kadriorg - Tõnismägi.
January, 1957 - today: Tondi - Kadriorg.
Tram route № 4.
September, 1915 – June, 1932: Opened Kopli tram route without number (from end of Kopli street to Telliskivi street), using first steam-carriage and after motorized carriages.
June, 1932 – November, 1951: Motorized tram route Kopli - Balti Jaam and was labeled as route number 4.
November, 1951 – November, 1953: Opened electrical tram route Kopli - Balti Jaam.
July, 1955 – October, 1957: Ülemiste - Tõnismägi.
October, 1957 – October, 1970: Tondi - Laikmaa Street - Ülemiste.
October, 1970 - 19.10.2015: Tondi - Maneeži street - Ülemiste.
19.10.2015 - 19.10.2015 - 31.08.2017: Tondi - Ülemiste jaam.
01.09.2017 - today: Tondi - Lennujaam.
Tram route № 5.
28.10.2000 - 31.12.2003: Kopli - Vana-Lõuna.
General information about tram history.
24.08.1888: First konka started driving on route Vene turg — Narva road — Salongi (Weizenbergi) street — Liiva (Poska) street. Konka, also known as horse tram existed until 1918.
September, 1915: Kopli trams have their own history. At 1915, there was living about 15 thousand people at this area. Russian-Balticum ship factory employees. Exactly this factory built tram route from their entrance to Telliskivi Street. In September, 1915 they started using steam trams on this route. More information about steam trams (in Russian): WIDE TRACK TRAMWAY ROLLING STOCK.
13.05.1921: Reopened tram traffic in city center, by using motorized trams.
28.10.1925: First electrical tram route was opened on Narva route.
July, 1928: Tram routes were labeled with numbers for first time. The route numbers were №1, №2 and №3.
October, 1931: Kopli tram route reconstruction to change the width of the track from 1524 to 1067.
May, 1949: Turning around triangle was opened. It was first used by tram route 1, and it was the final station for route 3 since 1954. Triangle was removed in 1957.
November, 1951: Tram route №4 (Kopli – Balti Jaam) was electrified, motorized trams drove until November, 1953.
November, 1953: Kopli tram route was extended to Stalin / Viru square and route number 1 (Kopli-Kadriorg) was opened.
July, 1955: Tartu road route was extended to Ülemiste.
On March 12, 1960, a serious tram accident occurred in Tallinn, when from the Lasnamäe slope, tram line No. 4, consisting of 44 + 144, approached the Lubja stop. Before the stop there is a descent with a turn, and the tram went down the slope at too high a speed, could not withstand the turn and overturned along with the trailer car. As a result, several people were seriously injured. The head car 44 was withdrawn immediately after the accident, while the trailed car 144 was repaired and continued to run with other cars. Unfortunately, this accident was not the only one. Five years later, on July 24, 1965, a similar accident occurred with exactly the same tram, tram line No. 1, consisting of 42 + 149, overturned near the Gorhall, as a result of which this time one person died. The cause of the accident was again too high a speed. Both the head car and the trailed car were written off after the accident. After this incident, a commission headed by the chief engineers of the Tram Trust and the Estonian Railways quickly assembled to investigate the accidents and came to the conclusion that the accident was caused by the too high floor platform of this tram model, which made it easily overturned. It was decided to urgently remove this tram model from the operation of the line, and for this a document was submitted to the Ministry of Public Utilities with a request to remove the old trams as soon as possible and replace them with newer and more modern trams. Thus, only two years later, in August 1967, the last domestic tram entered the route. This tram model was replaced by the Gotha G4-61 trams from the East Germany.
October, 1970: Tram routes №2 and №4 in city center were transferred from A. Laikmaa Street to Maneeži Street.
A new section of tramway line from Majaka põik stop to the Airport has been built in 2015-17 and opened in 1.9.2017.
Construction of routes
Today there are four trolleybus routes in Tallinn.
Route № 1: Mustamäe-Mustamäe road-Kaubamaja (Opened on current route 01.11.1977)
Route № 3: Mustamäe-Sõpruse Avenue-Kaubamaja (Opened on current route 01.11.1977)
Route № 4: Keskuse-Balti Jaam (Opened on current route 28.11.1992)
Route № 5: Mustamäe-Balti Jaam (Opened on current route 25.08.1971)
Five trolleybus routes have been closed.
Route №2 Mustamäe - Estonia (Service time in the last view 26.06.1969 - 30.11.2012, replaced with bus routes №24 and №24A)
Route №6 Väike-Õismäe - Kaubamaja (Service time in the last view 01.10.1983 - 31.12.2015, replaced with bus route №42)
Route №7 Väike-Õismäe - Balti Jaam (Service time in the last view 11.05.1981 - 31.12.2015, replaced with bus route №43)
Route №8 Väike-Õismäe - Vabaduse Väljak (Service time in the last view 30.06.1982 - 31.03.2000, replaced with bus route №22)
Route №9 Keskuse – Kopli (Service time in the last view 28.11.1992 - 01.05.2017, replaced with bus route №72)
Trolleybus traffic begins at 04:50 in the morning and the last trolleybus heads to depot at 00:42
There is only one depot on Paldiski road, which was opened in 1973 (however, the first trolleybuses were located on the territory of the depot in 1968), there is repair shops and administrative buildings. Services four routes. From 1965 to 1968, trolleybuses were located in a temporary depot on Ädala Street. There was another depot, which was opened at 30.12.1982. It was located on Mustamäe road. First, it was planned as tram depot. It was closed in 2001.
List of models
Currently, the city's lines are in operation trolleybuses brands Solaris. Earlier also exploited trolleybuses Ziu-5, Škoda 9Tr, Ikarus 280.93, Ikarus 415.T1, Ikarus 412.82, JuMZ Т1, Škoda 14Tr and Škoda 15Tr.
Information about history
06.07.1965: Trolleybus traffic was opened, when the first trolleybus started to drive on route Theatre Estonia-Hippodrome.
October 2002: Trolleybus traffic in the city center began to take a new route: Estonia puiestee - Kaubamaja tn. - Rävala puiestee - Teatri väljak - Estonia puiestee.
General information about trolleybus history: History of trolleybuses
More information about trolleybus routes: Formation of trolleybus routes