city arms of Jelenia Góra
(German: Hirschberg im Riesengebirge
) is a city in South Western Poland, located in Dolnośląskie (Lower Silezian) region. The population of the city is today about 84.000 inhabitants.
There is no electric transport any more in Jelenia Góra but there were different kinds of it in the history of the city. The era began in 1897 when opened a tramway system powered by gas trams on 1435 mm gauge in Jelenia Góra. The city was one of only a few cities in the world with a worked gas tram system. But because of low efficiency the gas tram closed already in 1899 and was dismantled. The tramway company called Hirschberger Thalbahn GmbH
wanted to reopen the tramway system in Jelenia Góra by operating with electric cars. A new depot was built in Jelenia Góra-Mallinik South West of the city The opening of the electric tramway on narrow gauge of 1000 mm was in February 1900 with a track which followed the old gas tram route from the central station to Jelenia Góra-Mallinik. An extension of this track to Hermsdorf (Sobieszów) went in service in April 1900. In 1911 and 1914 a new track to Obergiersdorf (Podgórzyn Górny) was opened which branched off from the standard track in Bad Warmbrunn (Cieplice Śląskie-Zdrój).
After the Second World War the tram operation was served under the new Polish name Kolej Elektryczna w Jeleniej Górze
and reopened only a few days after the end of the war in 1945. In the 1950s and 60s new Polish made 2-axle tram cars were delivered built in the factory of Konstal. The track to Podgórzyn was closed in 1964, that one to Sobieszów one year later. In May 1969 the last part of the track between the main railway station Jelenia Góra and Cieplice Śląskie-Zdrój was closed finally and dismantled.
Today we can not find tracks of the tram any more. There are still some rosetts of the overhead wires in the centre of Jelenia Góra and on the street in Podgórzyn still exist some metall-made pylons of the former tram which are now used for the street lighting. There are three tram monuments consistig of Konstal 2-axle motor cars in the city. One is located on the central market place (Rynek) and is used as a kiosk and information centre. The second one normally stands in front of the today bus depot at ulica Wolności street. But in 2016 it went into the depot and waits there for a needed renovation. The third monument stands at the former tram terminus in Podgórzyn Górny and is reachable by MZK bus line No. 4.
In 1945 the Germans planned to install a trolleybus line instead of the tram network. The route should connect the railway station with Bad Warmbrunn (Cieplice Śląskie-Zdrój). The overhead wire along the track was already installed. Three trolleybusses made by Henschel/Schumann/SSW arrived in 1944 but were never used and the overhead wire was dismantled already in 1946. We today still can find the planned trolleybus loop in Cieplice next to the hotel. The idea of a trolleybus network came again in the 1960s when replacing the tram system completely but never were realized.