coat of arms of Vysoké Tatry
coat of arms of Poprad
is the name of a famous mountain range in the North of Slovakia near the border to Poland. The highest mountain is the Gerlachovský štít with 2.655 metres. Vysoké Tatry is also the name of a city wich consists of many former villages located in the mountain area. The population of the city is today about 4000 people. Vysoké Tatry is known as a tourism centre for winter and summer sports.
A bit South of the mountains is the city of Poprad
which has 51.000 inhabitants today. It is connected to the Slovakian railway network at the main track between Žilina and Košice. There are different kinds of electric public transport in the region of Poprad and Vysoké Tatry.
The main system is the Tatra electric railway which operates on a gauge of 1000 millimetres and is served by the Slovakian railway company ZSSK.The network consists of two tracks having the following timetable numbers:
183: Poprad-Tatry — Starý Smokovec — Štrbské Pleso
184: Starý Smokovec — Tatranská Lomnica
The whole network has a length of 35 kilometres and was finally opened in 1912. The operation is today served by 15 low-floor electric cars of type Stadler GTW 2/6.
Another electric transport system is the cog-wheel railway between Štrba and Štrbske Pleso. It connects the railway station in Štrba with the terminus of the electric Tatra railway at Štrbske Pleso. An old cog-wheel railway was already built in 1896 but closed in 1932. The idea of a new one on the old track was realized then in 1970 when the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships were organized at Štrbske Pleso. The Swiss made vehicles from 1970 operate until today. The track is also served by the Slovakian railway company ZSSK and has the following designation:
182: Štrba — Štrbske Pleso
A funicular is also part of the electric transport of Vysoké Tatry and the only one in Slovakia. The track is 1.937 metres long and has a gauge of 1.000 miillimetres. The funicular was opened in 1908 and reconstructed in 1950/51, from 1967 to 1970 and in 2007/08 and connects Starý Smokovec with Hrebienok. The current cable cars are Swiss made by the company Gangloff. The last vehicle generation, made in Italia in 1970, today stands on an area near the depot of the Tatra electric railway in Poprad. The operation was served by the national railway company ZSSK until 2006 and then sold to a private company. The number of the track is still:
203: Starý Smokovec — Hrebienok
A trolleybus system existed at Vysoké Tatry from 1904 to 1906. It worked between Poprad and Starý Smokovec and was one of the first ones in the world. The constructions followed the system made by the German Ingenieur Carl Stoll. There were three vehicles operated on the interurban line of 14 kilometres length.
The local bus comopany SAD Poprad ownes two electric busses which operate in the city network of Poprad and are the fifth kind of electric urban transit in the region.
Further information about the Tatra electric railway and the cog-wheel railway can be found on the site of ZSSK company under www.slovakrail.sk